A few days ago, Tellago Studios, announced the release of Moesion, a cloud platform to manage your IT systems, whether on-premise or on the cloud, from your smartphone or tablet. Moesion attempts to make IT professionals more responsive and productive by enabling traditional system management capabilities from their mobile device without the need of a computer or a VPN connection.
As a platform, Moesion extends the best practices and techniques of decades of IT system management with modern concepts of cloud, mobile and social computing. Moesion is the first manifestation of a bigger vision to bring true mobility enterprise IT.
These are exciting times in the software industry. Movements like cloud, mobility and social computing are revolutionizing the way we build, interact and even think about software applications. While we regularly witness the impact of these technologies in the consumer world, we think enterprise software is not exempt of these transformations. On the contrary, we think that applying mobile, cloud and social computing dynamics to traditional enterprise software can drastically enhance the way organizations do business while, at the same token, bring a much needed breath of innovation to enterprise IT.
Moesion is our first step executing towards this vision by building a cloud platform that enables the management of IT systems from your mobile device. Moesion is based on a series of simple principles that, we believe, will be the foundation of the next generation of IT system management software.
- IT Pros should be able to manage their systems anytime, anywhere: The times in which you needed a computer and a VPN connection to manage your IT infrastructure are about to change. We firmly believe that IT professionals should be able to manage their IT systems directly from their mobile device without the need to remotely login to their corporate networks.
- Modern IT systems should be manageable from your mobile device:We believe that any modern, relevant IT system should be manageable from your smartphone or tablet.
- IT system management should be social: System management is an intrinsically social activity. We believe that IT professionals should be able to share knowledge and collaborate with each other while managing their IT systems.
- IT system management should be simple: Call us radicals, but we think that managing and monitoring an IT system shouldn’t be more difficult that interacting with a friend in your favorite social network. Taking this principle even further, we believe that a some social networking concepts such as tagging, poking, following, and liking can drastically improve the experience of managing an enterprise IT infrastructure.
- Cloud infrastructures are the future of IT system management: Let’s face it, IT system management software requires expensive on-premise infrastructures and are ridiculously difficult to maintain, scale and upgrade. We believe that the next generation of IT system management software will be based on cloud infrastructures and platforms that will drastically simplify the adoption experiencing while bringing an unprecedented level of innovation to enterprise IT.
Moesion represents the first iteration of the vision explained in the previous section. We can try to better explain Moesion using a fictional but very common story of an IT pro who, for this example, we can call Bob. As many other IT pros, Bob is responsible for managing dozens of servers in his company. One day Bob is traveling to a business meeting in another city when he receives call from his manager explaining that the main employee portal doesn’t seem to be working. At that time, Bob brings up his IPhone and quickly queries the event log of the web server hosting the company portal. The quick inspection reveals a series of errors thrown by the Internet Information Services instance hosting the employee portal. Without leaving his IPhone, Bob brings up an Internet Information Services Manager application and goes to the list of websites just to realize that the employee portal website has been stopped. Directly from his IPhone, Bob starts up the specific website and calls back his manager to confirm that the portal is working again.
Despite the fictional example, the previous story describes what IT professionals can accomplish by using Moesion.
In a nutshell, Moesion could be defined as a cloud based platform that enables the management of IT systems, whether on-premise or on the cloud, from your mobile device. As an IT professional, you can use Moesion to extend your system management experience to your mobile device including:
- Manage your IT systems and cloud services from your smartphone or tablet
- Publish and execute management script directly from your mobile device
- Have immediate access to dozens of system management applications and hundreds of scripts directly from your smartphone or tablet.
The following picture illustrates a high level diagram of the Moesion platform.
Expanding on the previous diagram, we could explain the Moesion platform as five fundamental components.
- Dozens of mobile HTML5 applications to manage your IT systems from your smartphone or tablet
- A social script repository to publish and execute scripts from your mobile device.
- A lightweight agent that controls the system management capabilities of specific servers
- An application store on which you can access dozens of new applications and hundreds of scripts to manage your IT infrastructure
- A multi-tenant cloud infrastructure to host, provision and scale your Moesion deployment.
By combining the previous capabilities, Moesion provides a very flexible platform that allows IT professionals to efficiently manage their IT infrastructure using their smartphone of tablet.
This initial version of Moesion is just our initial step towards providing a complete experience to manage your IT infrastructure from your mobile device. Together with this initial release, the Moesion team announced the immediate roadmap for the platform which could be summarized in the following topics.
- More and more apps: Almost every week, you will find new applications in the Moesion app store. The immediate roadmap includes on-premise systems such as VMWare, Citrix or Oracle DB as well as cloud platforms such as Amazon AWS or RightScale.
- Monitoring (Twitter for your IT systems): Very soon Moesion will include capabilities to subscribe to events in your IT infrastructure by using similar social dynamics to platforms such as Twitter, LinkedIn or Facebook.
- Knowledge management: Moesion will provide the infrastructure to capture and evolve blocks of knowledge about your IT infrastructure that will facilitate the understanding the troubleshooting or your IT systems.
Moesion is a new platform that enables the management of your IT infrastucture from your smartphone or tablet. Moesion combines the principles of mobile, cloud and social computing to extend the management of your IT systems to your mobile device. Currently, Moesion is available as a private Beta at http://www.moesion.com